1st NRC leaders meet in Abuja over the political impasse.
– SDP expels Chief Arthur Nzeribe from the party for anti-party activities.
5th National Assembly reconvenes.
– Former NEC chairman, Prof. Humphrey Nwosu bids farewell to the commission and calls for co-operation for his successor.
– Peaceful protest against the cancellation of June 12 presidential election takes place in Lagos.
– IBB attends a book launch titled “The Babangida men: The Making of ministers 1985 – 1992”, authored by Professor Ikenna Nzimiro of the Presidential Advisory Committee (PAC).
6th President Babangida gives two option to the two political parties of either to agree to a fresh election or the formation of an Interim National Government.
– National Secretary of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Alhaji Sule Lamido issues a statement on behalf of the party rejecting the government’s opinions and reaffirms the party’s commitment to the June 12 presidential election.
– Members of Transitional Council meet in Abuja and plead for peace and calm.
7th FG gives N85.22m to the National Assembly to pay salaries, allowances and settle outstanding hotel bills.
9th National Defence and Security Council (NDSC) meet to discuss the option of Interim National Government accepted by the two political parties.
– National Assembly Senior Staff Association inaugurated by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Chief Agunwa Anaekwe.
– First Lady, Mrs Maryam Babangida to bag Nigerian Institute of Public Relations (NIPR) award.
– Kaduna Refinery gutted by fire.
12th FG orders a thorough investigation into the cause of the fire incident, which burnt down some vital units of the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation Refinery Plant in Kaduna.
– Senior Military and Police officers in the country meet with President Babangida.
– NEC announces the appointment and posting of 23 resident electoral commissioners:
- Tony Edoh Abia State
- Y. O. Beredugo Adamawa
- Alhaji Ado Ringim Delta
- S. I. Atiomo Bauchi
- Mallam Mohammed Salami Benue
- S. Uwakwe Borno
- Alhaji Mahdi Bukar C/River State
- Alhaji Mohammed S. Kwaru Ondo
- Alhaji Umaru Illalu Edo
- Alhaji A. N. Rafindadi Enugu
- Crescent Odo Kaduna
- C. E. Emezi Kano
- E. Nse Ekpenyong Kwara State
- Abubakar Bello Lagos
- Lateef Busari Niger
- Mohammed Ibrahim Anambra
- Aliyu Babadoko Ogun
- Saidu Maliki Osun
- A.J.G. Imam Oyo
- Namadi Abdur Rahman Plateau
- Musa Abdullahi River State
- Ime Ikiddeh Taraba
- Sabo Ago FCT – Abuja
13th Attempt to impeach the speaker of House of Representatives by a group allegedly sponsored by ABN fails.
14th National Agricultural Land Development Authority (NALDA) and National Agricultural Extension and Research Liaison Services sign pact for rural development.
15th SDP snubs NEC by staying away from a meeting to discuss modalities for fresh election.
– Probe panel on immediate and remote causes of the fire incident that destroyed the former Defence Headquarters submits report to the Secretary of Defence and Chief of Defence Staff, General Sani Abacha.
– NEC secretary, Alhaji Isa Mohammed Kagara resigns his appointment.
– Tofa explains why he remains silent after the cancellation of June 12 presidential election.
19th FG promulgates new decree preventing all the courts in the country from entertaining any action concerning the June 12 Presidential election. It is known as “Presidential Election Invalidation of Court Decree 41 of 1993”.
– A two-day meeting of all state governors ends in disagreement.
– Kaduna Chief judge strikes out the 50 million-naira suite of Bashir Tofa against the chairman of Today Newspapers, Alhaji Abidina Coomassie.
– Supreme Court strikes out the suit filed by 14 Attorneys – General of Social Democratic Party (SDP) controlled states.
22nd IBB approves N30m as take – off grant for the construction of Federal Technical College, Ijebu – Ode in Ogun State.
23rd SDP honours NEC meeting.
26th Secretary of Information and Culture, Comrade Uche Chukwumerijie
meets media Executives on the political crisis in the country.
28th NEC meets with the two political parties.
– Adopts the Interim National Government option.
29th The Catholic Church of Nigeria condemns foreign interference in the political impasse following the annulment of June 12.
– Chief M. K. O Abiola rejects the option of Interim National Government.
– Roman Catholic Bishop visits Babangida at the presidential villa to discuss the political impasse.
– Northern Consultative Group supports Interim National Government.
31st IBB, NEC and the two political parties meet to consider the option of Interim National Government.
– Babangida institutes Interim National Government.
– FG sets up preliminary committee to work out the modalities for the establishment of the interim government.
- Vice President, Augustus Aikhomu – Chairman.
- Chief Earnest Shonekan – Head of Government
- Alhaji Abdul Rahman Okene – Secretary for Internal Affairs
- Clement Akpamgbo – Attorney General of the Federation
- Col. Joshua Dogonyaro – Commandant of the Command and Staff College, Jaji.
- Gen. Haliru Akilu – DG, National Intelligence Agency