1st Presidential primaries of the two political parties kick off in Zone A, which comprises (Bomo, Kwara, Abia, Katsina and Delta States).
– President Babangida lays the foundation stone of the 20 million Joseph Sarwa Tarka Foundation at Makurdi.
2nd Federal government bans deputy speakers’ forum
2nd External auditors uncover N8.4million fraud in Adamawa area office of the National Directorate of Employment (NDE).
– ASUU, FG face-off deepens, FG restrained by court order not to terminate the appointments of ASUU members.
– Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe calls on the Federal government and striking university lecturers to resolve the impasse over conditions of service in the interest of the students and the nation.
– IBB plans debate for flag bearers.
– Presidential primaries Round One Results;
|Dr. Sola Saraki||271,807|
|Chief Olu Falae||40,525|
|Maj. Gen. Musa Yar’adua||40,477|
|Alh. Lateef Jakande||16,596|
|Maj. Gen. Musa Yar’adua||657,488|
|Alh. Bamanga Tukur||87,317|
|Chief E. Iwuanyanwu||210,932|
– ASUU strikes.
– Committee of V.C.s demands re-opening of negotiations Committee to expedite action on LNG established.
5th National Republican Convention (NRC) cancels primary elections in Delta and Abia States.
RESULTS AT A GLANCE
|Abel Ubeku||982||3,496||476||1,466|| 6,420
6th NEC cancels election primaries in Zone A and announces new dates
for fresh primaries on September 5, 12 and 19 in three Zones.
Ondo, Jigawa, Edo, Cross River, Plateau, Kebbi, Ogun, Taraba, Kogi and Imo States.
Anambra, Katsina, Lagos, Bauchi, Akwa Ibom, Kaduna, Benue, Oyo, Rivers and Yobe States.
Kano, Niger, Enugu, Osun, Abia, Sokoto States. Run-offs, if any to hold on September 6.
7th IBB to implement industrial master plan.
8th Alhaji Alhaji assumes duty in UK as Nigeria’s ambassador to U.K.
10th 28 State Governors meet in Lagos over Presidential primaries and resolve to be non-partisan.
13th Minister of Information announces the clearance of Fidelix Oyakhilome, former NDLEA boss of “all wrong doings arising from the Jennifer Madike Saga”.
14th SDP decides on consensus presidential candidate.
16th Arrested SDP Chiefs released
- Iassac Mfto Benue state SDP acting Chairman
- Jerusalem, Ozuoamo, Organising Secretary.
17th General Babangida marks low key 51st birthday
– Top Presidential aspirants of NRC and SDP say No to consensus candidacy.
– National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) threatens strike action in Akwa Ibom State.
18th 14 Nigerians deported from Hungary in chains.
19th FG drops case against Lekwot and 5 others standing trial before the Justice Okadigbo Civil Disturbances Tribunal in Kaduna.
20th Negotiation between Federal government and University lecturers begins.
21st SDP and NRC aspirants free to contest for fresh primaries.
– Legislators in Benue House of Assembly exchange blows.
24th Presidential primaries rescheduled for September 12, 19 and 26: Runoff, if any, to hold in October.
– NEC, SDP and NRC leaders hold meeting with Vice President Augustus Aikhomu and resolve to use accreditation slips for presidential primaries instead of revised membership list.
25th Chief Press Secretary to the President, Chief Duro Onabule says the Federal Government will not create new states before handing over.
27th IBB marks his seventh year in office.
28th Tribunal on Zongo-Kataf disturbances adjourns.
– President Babangida receives elders from Akwa Ibom State
30th FG threatens to disqualify aspirants of both parties, if the re-scheduled primaries fail again.
31st Enwerem advises Nigeria Labour Congress to steer clear of politics.