1st 600 Nigerian soldiers leave Lagos for Liberia to join their counterparts from other West African countries in peacekeeping operations.
5th General Babangida travels to Harare, Zimbabwe to attend OAU ad hoc committee on Southern Africa.
– IBB approves minor cabinet reshuffle:
- Major General Yohana Kure (rtd) moves from Ministry of Culture and Social
Welfare to Ministry of Youth and Sports.
- Commodore Lamba Gwom (rtd) moves from Transport to Culture and Social Welfare.
8th General Babangida returns home from Zimbabwe after attending a three – day summit of the frontline states and OAU ad hoc committee on Southern Africa.
21st Second Republic senator Arthur Nzeribe arrested for violating the provisions of the Participation in Politics and Elections (prohibition) Decree No.25 of 1987
22nd The appointment of retired Brigadier Stephen Ogbehe Ikya as the new Sole Administrator of the Mass Transit Programme receives approval from president Babangida. He replaces retired Air vice-Marshal Ishaya Shekari.
27th Federal government considers restoring ranks of stripped military and police officers during Gowon regime.
The officers are as follows:
- Abba Kyari – North Central State
- D. Bamigboye – Kwara State
- M. Usman – North Eastern State
- U. J. Esuene – South Eastern State
- Samuel Ogbemudia – Mid-Western State
- Commander Alfred Diete-Spiff – Rivers State
- Late Police Commissioner Audu Bako – Kano State
- Police Commissioner Usman Farouk -North Western State.
28th Open Ballot system adopted by AFRC for future elections.