3rd Federal government constitutes panel to investigate the botched coup, of April 22, led by Major Orkar.
4th AFRC announces cash reward of N15, 000 to members of the public who has any information that can lead to the arrest of the wanted officers in connection with the April 22 abortive coup.
13th Nigeria hosts ANC Vice President, Dr. Nelson Mandela and wife, Mrs. Winnie Mandela.
14th President Babangida confers the highest honour of Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON) on Dr. Nelson Mandela.
15th The Kaduna State government declares a work-free day in the state to welcome Dr. Nelson Mandela and his wife to Kaduna State.
16th IBB launches a book entitled “Nigeria since Independence” in Abuja.
– General Olusegun Obasanjo and Nelson Mandela attended the book launch.
– The display of names of members of the two registered political parties, the National Republic Convention (NRC) and Social Democratic Party (SDP) begins throughout the country.
21st Trial of coup plotters commences:
First batch of suspects:
- Sgt Julius Itua
- Pius Ilegar
- Martins Ademokhai
- Arthur Badenyitite Umukoro
- Awokoya Emmanuel Akogun
- Cyril Okwor Ozoalor
- Nicholas Ekun Odey
- Mimibibowei Harley Empere
- Perebo Abeela Dakolo
- Major G.G. Okafor
Members of the Tribunal:
- Major-General Ike Nwachukwu – Chairman
- Abdulsalami Abubakar
- Linus Alaki Okorogun
- Col. Abdulmuminu Aminu
- Major Isaac Osayande
- Major Umar Usman Tudunwada
- Col. Bello Fadile (Judge Advocate)
- Col. Muhammed Maim
- Major George Ikoli
27th President Babangida attends ECOWAS Summit in Banjul, the capital of the Gambia.
28th IBB proposes panel on disputes at the 13th Summit of Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).