1st President Babangida addresses the nation at the 29th Independence Anniversary.
3rd President Babangida commissions the Peoples Bank in Ajegunle and gives out 150,000 to the first batch of 150 beneficiaries of the loan scheme.
– AFRC dissolves political parties and establishes two new ones, the National Republic Convention (NRC) and Social Democratic Party (SDP).
9th Babangida receives an envoy from President Eduardo Dos Santos of Angola.
10th President Babangida orders the immediate release from detention, the former civilian Governor of Kaduna State, Alhaji Balarabe Musa.
– NEC Chairman, Professor Humphrey Nwosu postpones the December 12, Local Government elections.
12th Pests invade 24 local government areas in Kano State. Kano State government appeals to the federal government and international agencies for assistance.
17th Dr. Tai Solarin formally accepts his appointment as Chairman of the People’s Bank of Nigeria but on the condition that he receives no salary.
18th President Babangida congratulates Chief Emeka Anyaoku on his appointment as Secretary-General of the Commonwealth of Nations.
20th IBB hosts Mathew Kerekou of Republic of Benin in Nigeria to discuss Nigeria-Benin border problems.
23rd Babangida declares open the first All African Conference of Armed Forces and Police medical services at Eko Meridian Hotel.
24th President Babangida and 9 others to chart Commonwealth’s future.
– The team tagged “High Level Appraisal Group” has the following members:
- Malaysia-Chairman, Co-ordinator
Terms of Reference
- Re-affirmation of human rights and fundamental freedoms
- Strengthening democratic institutions by providing assistance to members to reinforce their election and other constitutional process.
- Solution to drug abuse and elicit trafficking
- Co-operation on fiscal and monetary policies.
25th Two decrees giving legal backing to the establishment of the National Population Commission (NPC) and the National Directorate of Employment (NDE) released.
31st The task force on Nigeria-Cameroon border disputes submits its report.