2nd President Babangida reshuffles his cabinet.
Those appointed are as follows:
- Air Vice-Marshal Nura Imam – Minister of Power and Steel
- Air Vice-Marshal Mohammed Yahaya – Minister of Industry
- S.J. Ukpanah – Minister of Trade.
- I. O. Graham Douglas – Minister of Social Development, Sports and Culture.
- Air Vice-Marshal Anthony Okpere Aviation.
- Kalu Idika Kalu – Transport.
- Air Vice-Marshal A. Shekari – Special Duties.
- Air Vice-Marshal Bayo Lawal – Social Development, Youth,
4th President Babangida declares work-free day to enable Nigerians to demonstrate their support for the Flying Eagles in their FIFA U-21 World Cup final match against Portugal.Flying Eagles wins Silver Medal.
5th Presidential reception for silver medallist Flying Eagles.
6th President Babangida swears in new ministers.
– Attorney General announces the National Electoral Commission Decree, with the amendment that any person of 45 years of age can now become chairman of NEC.
31st 1989 Prohibition Amendment Decree, which banned politicians from sponsoring, campaigning or canvassing for or on behalf of themselves or others published in government Gazette.