2nd MAMSER establishes four zonal headquarters to be located in Akure, Owerri, Kaduna and Bauchi.
3rd Cameroonian leader, Paul Biya sends special message to Gen. Babangida through his Minister for Territorial Administration, Mr. Ibrahim Mbambo Njoya.
6th Babangida announces the dissolution of the AFRC.
9th President Babangida promulgates constitution (Suspension Modification) and (Amendment) Decree of 1989, which gives legal backing to constitute a new 19 member AFRC which composition is as follows:
– President and Commander in Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces – Chairman
- Chief of General Staff
- Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Chief of Army Staff
- Chief of Naval Staff
- Chief of Air Staff
- Inspector General of Police
- General Officer Commanding 1 Mechanised Division
- General Officer Commanding 2 Mechanised Division
- General Officer Commanding 3 Mechanised Division
- General Officer Commanding 82 Division
- Commandant, Command and Staff College
- Commandant, Nigerian Defence Academy
- Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command
- Air Officer Commanding Tactical Air Command
- Two members from the Nigerian Army
- One member from the Nigerian Navy
- One member from the Nigerian Air Force
– 3 Lagos lawyers sue Babangida over dissolution of AFRC.
- Femi Falana
- Former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Sir Dainley Alexander flown to Paris, France for treatment.
10th FG bans export of food items like grains, yams and tubers.
13th President Babangida approves the appointment of new Managing Directors for both Daily Times and New Nigerian Newspapers.
- Yemi Ogunbiyi – Daily Times
- Malam Sidi Ali Sirajo-New Nigerian
- New AFRC members sworn in
- AFRC promulgates police (miscellaneous provision) Decree No of 1989. The decree abolishes Police Service Commission and replaces it with Nigerian Police Council FG promulgates a decree establishing the Nigerian Pilgrims Commission. It replaces the Nigerian Pilgrims Board Act of 1975.
14th President Babangida swears in members of the AFRC.
15th The Duke of Edinburgh Prince Phillip arrives Nigeria on a five-day visit.
19th Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) begins Silver Jubilee Celebrations.
22nd President Babangida attends the funeral ceremony of late Japanese Emperor, Hirohito.
28th Prof. Nwosu takes over from Prof. Eme Awa as NEC chairman. Other members of the newly constituted members are:
- Aliyu Umar – Secretary
- Dagogo Jack
- Ambassador Al-Gazali
- A. Jinadu
- Chief Yinusa Oyeyemi
- A. Kiyawa
- Ambassador G. Iyewere
- Alhaji Aliyu Kaidara
- Eno Irukwu
– National Security Council redeploys all Resident State Electoral Commissioners of NEC outside their states of origin.