4th The approved draft of the constitutions and manifestoes of the two political parties, the SDP and NRC launched by President Babangida
7th President Babangida announces the revised timetable of the grassroots democratic system for the two political parties for the third Republic elections.
– AFRC promulgates eight Decrees which includes:
- Transition to Civil Rule, Political Parties Registration and Activities Decree 1989,
- Import prohibition of Expired Food Products Decree. Etc.
8th Nigeria denied the right to hosts the 1991 World Under 20 Champion ship by FIFA for allegedly using over-aged players in the July 1989 edition of the Under – 17 tournament in Scotland. FIFA also places suspension on Nigeria for two years from all competitions with age limits.
11th Federal government inaugurates probe panel on FIFA ban of Nigeria from its championships. The panel has the following members:
- Justice Ayo Irikefe (rtd) – Chairman.
- Alhaji Saidu Barda – Secretary.
- Chief Abraham Ordia.
- Col. Asielue.
Terms of Reference
- To investigate the circumstances surrounding the disqualification of Nigeria by FIFA.
- To confirm, on the basis of all available evidence, the true ages of those Nigerian footballers in respect of whose ages FIFA expresses reservations.
- Determine whether the said players were over the age limit set by FIFA at the time they represented Nigeria.
- Ascertain whether or not there was culpable negligence on the part of government functionaries directly involved in the matter; and
- Make appropriate recommendations to the Federal government in respect of its findings.
– Local government (Basic Constitutional and Transitional Provisions (amendment) Decree promulgated. The Decree stipulates a two-year jail term or a fine of N5, 000.00 or both for erring poll officials. Federal Government introduces uniform price of 60k per litre of petrol and abolishes two-tier petrol pricing scheme.
29th President Babangida carries out cabinet reshuffle.
- Defence ministry comes under the presidency.
- Office of the Joint Chief of Staff becomes independent and to be headed by a Chairman.
- Abolishes the Office of the Co-ordinator of National Security.
- SSS, NIA remain autonomous and directly responsible to the President.
- Appoint new Secretary to the Federal Military Government.
- Alhaji Abubakar Alhaji – Budget and Planning.
- Air Commodore A. Ikhazobor – Youth and Sports.
- Alhaji Bunu Sheriff Musa – Water Resources.
- Babs Fafunwa – Education.
- Gen. D. Y. Bali – Internal Affairs.
- Eyoma Ita Eyoma – Minister of State, External Affairs.
- O. Graham-Douglas – Aviation.
- Alhaji Ismaila Mamman – Agricultural and Natural Resources.
- Jibril Aminu – Petroleum Resources.
- Godwin Ezekwe – Science and Technology.
- Chief Olu Falae – Finance and Economic Development.
- Prince Tony Momoh –
- Alhaji Mamman Ankah – Cultural and Social Welfare.
- Alhaji Rilwanu Lukman – External Affairs.
- A. J. Kazir – Kwara
- Col. E. K. Attah -Cross Rivers.
- Lt . Col. J. Y. Madaki – Katsina.
- M. I. Maina – Borno.