1st President Babangida returns home from a three-day official visit to Libya.
– President Babangida commissions the Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria (FRIN)/Japanese International Co-operation Agency (SCA) semi-arid afforestation project at Afaka, near Kaduna.
7th Federal Government takes Italy to the UN over the dumping of toxic waste in Koko.
– Babangida commissions Eko International Bank in Lagos.
9th Nigeria severs relationship with Italy and recalls its envoy because of the toxic dump by Italy.
10th An Italian ship conveying toxic waste to Nigerian arrested and made to empty its waste.
– 85 Persons detained by the Kaduna Police Command for shouting obscenities at the Sultan Bello Mosque released on the order of President Babangida
11th Petroleum Resources Minister, Alhaji Rilwanu Lukman gets second term election as OPEC president.
14th Two decrees on export promotion promulgated. They are:
- Nigerian Export Credit Guarantee and Insurance Decree
- The Maritime Academy of Nigeria Decree No. 16 of 1988.
– IBB begins tour of Bauchi state. Addresses Council of Chiefs at the palace of Emir of Bauchi, Alhaji Suleiman Adamu.
– Commissions N75 million Dadin Kowa multipurpose Dam near Gombe in Bauchi State.