1st President Babangida announces the setting up of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC).
– AFRC restores the rank of General to former Head of state, Dr. Yakubu Gowon.
– Babangida bags a Five Star General. Also promoted are service chiefs.
- The Chief of General Staff, promoted to Vice-Admiral Augustus
- Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Lt. General Domkat Bali.
- Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Sani Abacha.
- FG approves guidelines for local government elections scheduled for December 12, 1987. It is known as “Transition to Civil rule (Guide lines for Local Government elections) Order 1987”.
7th IBB inaugurates a Technical Aid Corps (TAC) Scheme, aimed at assisting Black African, Caribbean and Pacific country with trained manpower.
11th National Electoral Commission (NEC) commences registration of voters.
16th Elections (Prohibition) Decree No. 25 of 1987 published. It is entitled “Participation in Politics” and provides that where a person has been disqualified from contesting any election or his election nullified by NEC, such a person can appeal to a tribunal set up for the purpose, to review NEC’s decision, adding that the ruling of the tribunal shall be final and not challengeable in any court of law in the land.
– Federal government constitutes a seven-man panel to review the subsidy on agriculture and evolve a more flexible subsidy.
- Gen. George Innih (rtd) – Chairman
- Bola Fatoki – Secretary
- F. S. Idachaba
- J. K. Olayemi
- Felix Ohiwere
- George Abalu
- H. B. Mohammed
21st Babangida jets out to Kenya on a four-day visit.
26th IBB returns to Lagos after a four-day official visit to Kenya.
29th Babangida arrives Yola on a two-day official visit to Gongola state.
28th Republic of Chad hosts General Babangida during meeting of Chad Basin Commission in Ndjamena, Chad.
29th Four amendment decrees on National Library, Finance, Federal Polytechnics and Co-operative Development promulgated.
- Library Board (Amendment) Decree 1987 provides for the establishment of a National Library Board comprising 12 members, and a Director.
- Finance Control and Management (amendment) Decree) of 1987 amends the Finance (Control and Management) Act of 1958 by increasing the contingency funds from the initial amount N2 million to N100 million.
- Federal Polytechnics (Amendment) Decree 1987 amends Federal Polytechnics Act of 1979. It provides for the establishment of Federal Polytechnics Council to be made up of a Chairman and 15 members, one of whom must be a woman selected on merit. It also increases the number of Federal Polytechnics to 10.
- Co-operative development (amendment) decree of 1987, which reconstitutes the national advisory council for co-operative development to include two persons to be appointed by the