1st The body of late Chief Obafemi Awolowo arrives Lagos.
2nd Justice Karibi-Whyte tribunal set up to try persons arrested during riots in Kaduna State begins sitting.
3rd FG approves the use of K.Chellarams building at Marina, Lagos as the new visa office of the British High Commission.
5th FG promulgates a new decree on personal tax relief. It is known as Finance Miscellaneous Taxation Provision Decree No.31
6th The remains of late Chief Awolowo laid to rest
– Federal government releases new rules for student unionism in higher institutions.
– 5-point modalities:
- must take form of a voluntary organization.
- no procession of any kind to be embarked upon by students under the new guidelines.
- reconstituted students union should hold no congress meeting
- no more matching grants from institutions to students union.
- payment of dues voluntary and collection made the exclusive rights of the institutions’ authorities.
14th Babangida meets O.A.U. scribe Mr. Ide Omaru in Abuja at the conference of the Economic Commission of Africa (ECA).
16th Members of AFRC meet outside Lagos for the first time.
18th Babangida returns to Lagos after a five-day official visit to Abuja.
– UN Secretary General, Mr Javier Perez De Cuellar sends SOS message to IBB urging him to help save the UNO from imminent collapse.
22nd IBB begins a diplomatic tour of 3 ECOWAS countries: Togo, Senegal and Cote d’ Ivoire.
26th Babangida arrives Lagos after a five-day visit to three West African Nations.
29th IBB commissions the lower Anambra Irrigation Project at Omor, Anambra State.