1st Local Government election campaign kicks-off throughout the country.
3rd President Babangida leaves Lagos on a three-day official visit to Rivers and Cross River States.
4th Babangida meets OPEC ministers on a visit to two black African members of the organization. Babangida hosts President Moussa Traore of Mali
7th Members of Transition to Civil Rule Tribunal (Decree No. 19 of 1987) sworn-in. They are:
- Justice Fred Anyaegbunam
- Alhaji Adamu Waziri
- Aishat Balogun
- Police Commissioner Joseph Iyamabo
- Fifth member absent at the swearing in ceremony.
- General Babangida embarks on three-day official visit to Cameroon.
12th Local government elections held:
– Total number of candidates in 19 states including Abuja =14,768
20th President Babangida presents a sword of honour to the best all round cadet, S.A. Yaro at the passing-out parade of Army and Airforce cadets of the 36th Regular and 28th short-service courses respectively at the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA), Kaduna.
21st Babangida reshuffles cabinet
- 2 ministers dropped
- 3 new ones appointed
- additional ministry created.
- Ministry of Transport – headed by Dr. Kalu Idika Kalu, former minister of National planning.
- Finance and Economic Planning Ministries merged and headed by Dr. Chu P.S. Okongwu.
30th The National Boundary Commission Decree No. 38 of 1987, which deals with inter-state boundary problems between towns and villages promulgated.