1st Nigeria threatens to quit the Commonwealth and impose economic sanctions on Britain, if the British Government does not take a harder line against South Africa
2nd The 9th Summit of ECOWAS Heads of State ends in Abuja
4th IBB lays the foundation stone of the Command and Staff College Air Fculty, Jaji.
5th FG reforms War Against Indiscipline (WAI):
- Cancels weekly sanitation exercise.
- Flying of National Flag mandatory in public places.
- National Anthem and Pledge for public ceremonies and schools assemblies or gatherings.
- Award of presidential W.A.I. badges.
9th Nigeria boycotts the 13th Commonwealth games in Edinburgh, Scotland.
10th Babangida visits Rivers State on a one-day official visit
25th Federal Government publishes names of eleven former civilian Governors under the second republic banned for life from taking part in partisan politics in Nigeria. They are:
- Professor Ambrose Alli Bendel
- Alhaji Adamu Atta Kwara
- Alhaji Sabo Bakin Zuwo Kano
- Alhaji Abubakar Rimi Kano
- Garba Nadama Sokoto
- Aper Aku Benue
- Solomon Lar Plateau
- Alhaji M. Awwal Ibrahim Niger
- Chief Jim Nwobodo Anambra
- Chief Bisi Onabanjo Ogun
- Wilberforce Juta Gongola
26th FG Bans 49 politicians for life from taking part in political activities in the country.