1st Highlights of independence anniversary speech:
- Bans importation of rice and maize.
- Judicial panel to review cases of tribunal, convicts and detainees, especially politicians.
- Priority for rural development.
3rd FG retires top officials of NNPC:
- Managing Director- Chief Francis Marinho.
- General Manager (Project Engineering Division) – Mr. S. Kufeji. General
- Manager (Petrol – Chemicals) – Mr. M.O. Lolomari.
- General Manager (Commercials) – Mr. Sam Akpe.
- Manager, Research and Development – Dr. Ibe.
- Manager, Exploitation and Exploration Division – Mr. Okonkwo.
- President Babangida appoints Alhaji Bunu Sheriff Musa to replace Alhaji Lawan Mala as the new Minister of Industry.
4th Mr. Godwin Aretanekhai Adams replaces Chief Francis Marinho as the new Managing Director of NNPC.
15th Babangida visits Oyo State on a one – day working visit.
20th President Babangida receives special envoy from France Jean – Christopher Mitterand in state – House, Lagos.
22nd Babangida addresses members of the Police and Armed Forces at 241 Recce Brigade Parade ground in Kaduna during a day’s visit to the State.
26th IBB leaves Lagos for Jos on a one-day official visit.
28th Justice Babalakin led judicial commission of inquiry into the affairs of the Federal Electoral Commission (FEDECO) between 1979 and 1983 commences sitting.
29th Government lifts ban on importation and exportation of foreign currencies. Amends four decrees:
- The public officers (Protection Against False Accusation) repeal Decree 1985
- The constitution suspension and modification Decree 1985 The Public Order Decree 1985
- NYSC (National Youth Service Corps) Decree 1985
– Government announces pay cut by 2.5 – 20% in the salaries of service men and police officers. Details as follows:
- Corporals and privates – 2.5%
- Sergeants and warrant officers – 5%
- Captains and Majors -10%
- Brigadiers and above – 20%