5th President Babangida addresses Chief of Army Staff Conference.
– Mr. Justice Ayo Gabriel Irikefe succeeds Sodeinde Sowemimo as the new Chief Justice of the Federation.
6th Babangida holds close – door meeting with Police Commissioners throughout the federation at the Police Staff College, Jos.
11th Justice Ayo Irikefe takes oath as the new Chief Justice of the Federation.
– President Babangida performs the swearing – in – ceremony of the new Chief Justice of the Federation.
21st Government promulgates new decree- Economic Emergency Powers Decree. It stipulates that the president can issue orders for the stabilisation or the correction of distortions in the country’s economy during the period of the 15 months of National Economic Emergency.
22nd Two commissions of inquiry inaugurated by Justice Irikefe:
– Commission of inquiry to review cases of persons detained under the Recovery of Pubic Property (Decree 3) and persons conditionally released.
- Justice Mamman Bello – Chairman
- Wing Commander Abubakar Salihu
- C. Omeben (A.I.G.) of Police
- Justice Lateef Dosunmu
- Chief (Mrs) Folake Solanke (SAN)
– Commission of inquiry to review cases of persons convicted under the Exchange Control
(anti-Sabotage) Decree 20, 1984.
- Akinola Aguda – Chairman
- Col. Lambert Iheanacho
- Daniel Vembe
- Chief Theophilus Fagbola
- Justice Uthman Mohammad
– The Canadian Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Wilmer Collet presents his letter of credence to President Babangida at Dodan Barracks, Lagos.
23rd Babangida leaves Lagos for Bauchi to attend the closing ceremony of the 1985 Nigerian Army Sports Festival.